Musings

Monday, September 25, 2006

Coulter vrs Shermer

A recent book "Godless" by Ann Coulter was liked so much that I have read it twice. In it she gives the case for Intelligent Design (ID) as opposed to Evolution. She supports teaching ID in schools and deplores that the only thing taught is Evolution. She gives many reasons for Evolution being wrong, but I will only use two here: 1) The gaps in the fossil record 2) The Cambrian Explosion. I decided to read another book "Why Darwin Matters" by Michael Shermer. The jacket states it is the case against ID, and that is what caught my eye. This book gives a logical reason why there is a gap in the fossil record - not all fossils have been found, yet. But, because all fossil have not been found, this is not proof of an intelligent creator. I think he has something there. Also, because the Cambrian Explosion produced so many species in a small amount of geological time, this is not evidence that God was busy at work doing the creating. Further, the time for the Cambrian Explosion, while only a small amount in geological time, really took many of millions of years to accomplish. So now I have read both sides, what is the conclusion? I conclude that I really don't know, both sides are compelling and interesting. I am pleased to have had the benefit of both sides. Shermer stated a few times in his book that both positions can be held, meaning, God may have used evolution as his method of design. Perhaps that is my position, I just haven't fully embraced it yet. Regardless, when it comes to enjoying a book, Ann Coulter is much, much funnier than Shermer.

7 Comments:

  • Welcome to blogging! I came upon your site through Uncle Tim's, and I look forward to reading your thoughts and insights.

    As far as Anne Coulter is concerned, I haven't read her book, but I have heard all about it, including from you. I do think she is pretty funny in her views, so maybe that's why it isn't drawing that much liberal criticism, at least as far as I know. Considering I tend a little bit toward the liberal side, part of me is curious what she has to say about liberals.

    Oh, and as far as ID and evolution are concerned, we were introduced to both in school. Of course, you have to take into account that I went to Catholic schools. But in universities, or at least here at Xavier, they touch on both sides of the issue. The way I see it is the same as that author: that God's method of creation used evolution. That seems to reconcile most of the facts, and as far as creation is concerned, the lack of scientific facts.

    Good job with the blog, and I hope to be challenged with new insights as often as you can.

    By Blogger Sean M., at 9:16 PM  

  • Is ID the new Creationism?

    By Blogger paulette, at 6:27 AM  

  • While I am thrilled that you do not buy into Intelligent Design, I am dismayed to learn from Sean that it is being taught in Catholic schools along side of evolution. I had hoped that Catholic schools would remain the one hold-out that would teach evolution without apology.

    Please tell me that they talked about ID in Social Studies and not Science class and I will feel better.

    By Blogger EZ Travel, at 6:37 AM  

  • Happy to see you're blogging. Looking forward to checking you out often.

    By Blogger Monica, at 8:30 AM  

  • Actually, I need to retract something I said in my comment. In grade school, I wansn't introduced to ID whatsoever. In my science classes, we only learned about Evolution, but it was always understood that God was in charge. That part, of course, was introduced in the Religion classes. In fact, I hadn't heard of the term Intelligent Design until I came to college!

    In high school, most specifically my freshman Biology class, we touched briefly on Evolution vs. Creation. My teacher went about this by having us do outside research and have a sort of debate. I was on the Creation side, which was assigned to me. Again, the term ID was not used, and it was again assumed that we understood Evolution was at the "hands" of God.

    As far as teachings here at Xavier, we didn't actually have a concentration on Evolution vs. ID. In my General Biology II class, we touched on the differences between Evolution and ID. We actually did an outside research assignment comparing the two, but only Evolution was taught explicitly in class. My professor did mention in one of the lectures that God was in charge, which I guess you can get away with at a Catholic (Jesuit) institution.

    I just wanted to set the record straight, and it may brighten Erika's day that I was never actually taught ID in school.

    By Blogger Sean M., at 6:59 PM  

  • I heard that black is the new white. Gonna be tricky at crosswalks now. :-)

    By Blogger Tim B., at 8:51 PM  

  • The term "Intelligent Design" (ID) came about because of the limitation on the use of God in the classroom. Instead of God creating the Universe it has given way to it's being created by ID, thereby, avoiding the use of the God word. The courts were not fooled by this and have upheld the ban on ID in the classroom.

    By Blogger Marcel, at 3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home