Musings

Sunday, October 10, 2010

8:00 Mass

It is my custom to attend the 8:00 mass on Sunday. I like to get there early, about 7:35, for quiet praying (this week for Kim) and then to sit back and read the day's readings. After the readings it is pleasant to ponder the thread that connects the three readings. Today that thread was about "thanking" for what we have received. The first reading covered the leper who was cleansed and then went back to Elisha to thank him. The Gospel reading was about the ten lepers that were cleansed but only one went back to Jesus to thank Him. Of course these same readings are read during the mass. After that, today, the Priest's homily was on thankfulness. Therefore, the same message is presented to me three times, through reading, through listening and through instructing. Also pleasing is the four person choir that sings just before the mass starts. Later they sang "Amazing Grace" and it emotionally affected me. There are times when I join in and sing (remember, the person who sings prays twice) but my voice, disappointingly, does not have the range it did in the past. Today, the psalm was sung with unusual clarity, every syllable could be distinguished, I like that. It disrupts me when the psalm is nasally sung to hit every note without attention to the words. Today, John Daigle, a past tennis partner, was sitting on my left, there were three of us in our row. During the "Kiss Of Peace" I reached out to my right but the lady did not take my hand. (It brought to mind the time when the same thing happened with an old man. He later apologized and explained that his immune system was very low and he should not touch anything that might affect it. In fact, his doctor had advised him not to leave the house because of his condition.) She later did shake my hand giving me a big smile. We have four retarded men who live together with a care giving couple. They are usually all at the 8:00 mass. Today, I was amazed at the quantity of wine that one of them drank during communion. That was one gigantic sip. It amused me to think of him draining the cup leaving nothing for those following. I wondered if one of his care givers had seen it and if he would be re instructed in the correct procedure. After mass is over the priest will come forward and conduct what I most detest. He asks if there are any birthdays and inquires the age, whereupon all the people clap for each one. After this comes the inquiry, any wedding anniversaries. A person will call out the number of years and again all clap. Next, any visitors, and they will call out where they are from, again all clap. While it is inane to me, the people seem to like it. When the priest exists walking down the isle, small children come forward to hold his hand and walk with him. Sometimes there will be ten children surrounding him each holding one of his fingers. Yes, a peculiar sight, and it is not easy for him to walk without stepping on them. The kids love it.

4 Comments:

  • I have never heard of the birthday thing. It seems very odd that they would interrupt the pageantry of the mass (which is truly beautiful) with something like that. The only time I ever remember clapping in church was at weddings as the bride and groom walked back down the aisle as husband and wife and even that felt wrong.

    By Blogger EZ Travel, at 5:59 AM  

  • I was preparing the following as a post in my own Blog but after reading this post I decided to make it a comment to your post.

    A few weeks ago the Sunday gospel was about the parable of the prodigal son. Our pastor gave a powerful sermon about that parable that I had not thought of before. Rather than focus on God’s joy at the return of a lost soul as in the other two parables of the trilogy, the lost coin or the lost sheep, he focused on the forgiveness aspect of the parable. In the parable the father forgave his son who had denounced his father and squandered his inheritance. When the son returned home he expressed remorse and begged for forgiveness. The father not only forgave the son he celebrated the son's return with a huge feast consisting of the fatted calf.

    Our pastor preached that God is all forgiving and we, as Christians, need to do likewise to be closer to Him. But then he described how difficult forgiveness can be. Should we forgive Pontius Pilate or Attila the Hun or Mao Zedong or Adolph Hitler or Stalin? Should a person forgive their rapist, the molester of their child, the murderer of their spouse? I’ve always considered myself to be a good Christian but I don’t think I could pass the true forgiveness test.

    By Blogger John Beauregard, at 1:57 PM  

  • Nice post. This is the first time I am hearing about all these. Concept is good and gathering of information is excellent.

    By Anonymous Best Design Company, at 12:37 AM  

  • Erika,

    When the priest asks about birthdays it is after the mass. He comes forward just before the recessionary hymn to conduct this inquiry. Everybody stays because that hymn has not been completed. If he did it after the hymn I would leave before he starts, I feel a little like a hostage. As I said it is for me the least desireable part of the morning.

    Oh yes, he also tells a joke at this time. Thes week was the story of three clergymen; a Baptist minister, a Rabbi and a Catholic priest who decide, in the spirit of ecumenism, to go fishing together. While out in the boat, the Baptist minister states he forgot his bottle of water steps out of the boat walks across the water to the shore and back again. The Catholic priest remembers he forgot the sandwiches, steps out of the boat, walks to the shore on the water and back again. The Rabbi is astounded at what has happened, states he needs to get more wine, steps out of the boat and sploosh into the water he goes. They bring him back into the boat whereupon he immediately steps out of the boat again. Once more, sploosh down he goes. He is brought in nearly drowned and the Baptist minister says to the priest: "Should we show him where the steping stones are?" The priest says: "What stones?"

    By Blogger Marcel, at 1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home