Musings

Sunday, May 03, 2009

Taking Steps

In the 1980's my Father was robbed as he was personally collecting his rents from the renters of his appartments. It was dark as he left by the back door of an apartment. While between houses, he was approached by two men who said they wanted the money he was carrying. He did not respond fast enough and was roughly shoved against a wall. He was body punched a few times when he agreed to give them the money. The loss of his money made him an angry man. As he reflected about what had happened and what he could do about it, he decided to buy a gun to protect his money. Now, he was a most gentle man, would not intentionally hurt anybody, yet he knew what had happened to him was not right. He carried that gun the next few months. Many years later he told me: "I did carry that gun but I knew I could not use it to shoot another person. So I decided to leave the gun home." After he died, I went out of my way to get a look at the gun. It was not a big gun, just a small pistol, yet it would be a deterrent if pointed at someone. The other day, while talking to some people who do some fishing in the St John's River, I was made aware that it is almost impossible to buy ammunition for guns. Further, they pointed out that the price of guns has risen dramaticly. I asked why this is so and was told that many people are buying guns just for protection because of what is happening in this country. I was surprised at this. I do not like what I see happening in this country but I am not going to buy a gun. Then I remembered my Father and what he did when his rents were taken away from him. Can all the gun buying be a similar response to the one my Father took? I am aware that some people are buying guns because they see the leftists attacking gun rights, but they have been attacking gun rights for the last twenty years. What do you think?

4 Comments:

  • I am glad that it is harder to buy a gun and ammunition. I honestly wish it would get harder still. Not to violate or "attack gun rights" but to make sure guns are used to (and this sounds silly but) non-harmful reasons. Yes, we have a right to protect ourselves, yes we have a right to hunt, but no we don't have a right to intimidate or harm others.

    I knew about grandpa getting robbed but I didn't know about the gun, I'm glad I didn't know about it.

    By Blogger Adrienne, at 1:21 PM  

  • Even though "leftists" have been attacking gun rights for the last 20 years we now have the most liberal congress and president in my lifetime so it is highly likely the "leftists" will now succeed where they were only a threat to the constitutionally guarantied right to own a firearm in the past. Soon BHO will appoint a liberal supreme court judge with possibly 2 or 3 more during his term virtually assuring the court will rule in favor of banning guns if/when it is litigated. Sooo, many Americans are preparing for the inevitable banning by stocking-up while it is still legal creating a shortage of guns and ammunition. Criminals, on the other hand, will continue to get all the guns they want illegally.

    By Blogger John Beauregard, at 9:13 PM  

  • Adrienne, I saw two police officers in McDonald's today, both had a gun in a secure holster. I saw a black lady nervously eying one of the guns. Was she intimidated? Perhaps so, but I still want the police to carry a gun. I asked one of the officers how often he had to get certified with his weapon, "Every year, and it is usually the only time we get to fire it." I asked him how many firing ranges are in this area, and there are three, two outdoors and one indoors.

    Upon joining the NRA (pappa did not join) you are encouraged to take classes for gun safety, cleaning, storage, ammunition loading and general understanding about how to keep your household safe. Firing ranges enable a member to actually shoot a gun so they can understand how to keep themselves and others safe. I recall seeing an advertisement for the NRA some years back: "30 million members have guns and last night not a one of them killed anybody." Any large city cannot say that of their criminal element.

    By Blogger Marcel, at 1:43 PM  

  • I remember Grandpa getting robbed, and I knew he got a gun. Grandpa was attacked and had legitimate cause to fear his life. Having a liberal government is not a reason to fear your life.

    BTW I am not in favor of stricter gun laws. I do not believe that laws will keep guns out of the hands of those that should not have them. Laws have no effect on them.

    I don't know that I agree that we need a right to bear arms, but there it is, so I can live with it.

    By Blogger Gretchen, at 8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home