Musings

Thursday, November 22, 2012

Sentenced to Church

A teen aged boy, who smashed his truck while driving under the influence and thereby killing one of the passengers, has been sentenced by the court to ten years in church. What is the judge thinking when he decides on such a sentence? Does he believe that association with Christian people will make him a better person? Or, that he will develop a conscience and feel remorse? Or, "holy by association"? And what are the other members of the church he attends to think? Will they feel an obligation to train this youngster to abstain from drink, drive safely, and obey all traffic laws? What is the punishment in this sentence? To associate with Christians is a punishment?

This story caught my eye because of a story recounted to me when I worked at Ford in 1950. Tom, one of the senior draftsmen in my department had served in WWII as an infantryman. He landed in France on "D Day" plus two and had fought through France and Germany until the end of the war. After seven months in the field, the military paper "Stars and Stripes" told about a group of soldiers that had formed a group that was stealing military supplies and selling them on the black market. This profiteering group was caught, tried and found guilty. They were sentenced to serve on the front lines. About a week later, Tom's unit discovered that the some of the sentenced men were serving in a unit next to them. Tom said the regular soldiers were talking among themselves and saying: "What the hell an I doing fighting here, I didn't steel anything, I am not a thief. I should be home and let all the thieves fight this war." He said that his unit felt it was an injustice for them. Tom said that the original group of 85 men, with whom he had landed, had been reduced to 39 by the end of the war. Not all killed but many injured and returned to the States.

Are there any members of the church that feel the same way the soldiers did? "What the hell am I doing here, I didn't kill anybody by driving drunk."

7 Comments:

  • I wonder what the reaction would be it he were sentenced to a temple or mosque.

    Za

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:59 AM  

  • Marty, very interesting point, a sentence to a mosque could have unforseen consequences. Expectations in a Christian church would be to learn that others have the right to life and it is important to live so that others are not harmed by your actions. Some lessons in a mosque might show that it is alright to kill an infidel, especially a jew. (Yes, I know not all mosques teach that but the Wahhabist sect does.)

    By Blogger Marcel, at 7:46 AM  

  • Marty, I do not have a working knowledge of teachings in a temple, perhaps you can answer your own query.

    By Blogger Marcel, at 7:50 AM  

  • When I first read this story I simply thought the judge felt exposure to weekly sermons would influence him to change his life choices. He might meet a nice girl or other role model for a positive influence. I never thought the judge considered it a punishment but rather an opportunity for rehabilitation. It's worth a chance if the only alternative is jail.

    By Blogger John Beauregard, at 1:14 PM  

  • I was not thinking of the temple or mosque's reaction.

    As you have taken the liberty of picking the group to reflect Islam, may I pick a group and offer it as a symbol of Christ's church? I pick Westboro Baptist Church. Remember I'm not saying everybody, just that when you think of baptists, this is a good picture to have.

    za

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:18 PM  

  • Marty, I see it is an independant Baptist Church and those signs are extreme and not reflective of the American culture. When I think of Baptists I think of those that I know as true Christians. Do you really think that that one church is representative?

    By Blogger Marcel, at 12:39 PM  

  • As much as the Wahhabist reflect Islam. I do however think the racist, homophobic, intolerant, greedy, ignorant Christian is much more common that the other Christians will admit, even to their selves.

    Za

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home