Musings

Monday, December 31, 2012

What is Property?

Exactly what is property? Those who play the board game "Monopoly" understand it as a deed to property onto which can be built houses and hotels. Rent is charged to those that land on the property and the amount is determined by how much improvement was done to the property.

As a newsboy, I earned one-third of a cent for each daily paper I sold. I had to purchase the route from the previous newsboy because it was his property. Upon my purchase it became my property. If I increased the number of customers I serviced my income went up. My income became my property. I bought a bike with my earnings and it became my property.

When I began to work at the Ford Motor Company I received a salary for the work I did. That salary was my property. When I put the  money into the bank the interest the money earned became my property. From the money in the bank, I bought a car and it became my property. I used some of my earnings to buy clothes, my property.

When it became time to buy a house a new wrinkle set in. I negotiated for a loan of someone else's property with which to buy a house. The title of the house became mine, by law, even though I owed a specified sum of money on it. It became my property but with a string attached.

When I buy food with the money from my salary, it is my food. If I stock a pantry in the house with food, it is my property. If I throw a party, supplied with beer and liquor, it is of my choosing to dispense some of my property to others.

All money that is saved is postponed consumption. When I made $1.10 per week selling papers, I would, after collection day, sometimes get a coke and small bag of potato chips just to reward myself. The rest went into the bank. There it stayed until I might have a need for it. It was there for me, as my property, until I wanted to consume. it.

There are some individuals in this society that have been able to acquire large amounts of property. Either they earned it or had it gifted through inheritance. These people have become pariahs in this Country. A majority of our citizens are willing, even demanding, that their property be taken away from them. Our President is one of those persons.

The founding fathers of this Country declared that all were created equal and are entitled by the Creator to life, liberty and property. The Fifth Amendment says that these cannot be taken away without due process. The taxes paid by individuals are indeed due process. However, when we hear that some people are not paying their "fair share", and it is said mostly by members of one political party, is the mere saying it as they do constitute "due process"?

3 Comments:

  • Communist doctrine is that all property belongs to the government. The individual has no right to property. That is a fundamental difference between communist countries and The United States where individuals have a right to property.
    Most left wing liberals, including our President, believe, like communists, that your labor belongs to the government. They take it from you in the form of taxes and let you keep some of it as an incentative to keep producing. The proof of this is when leftists refer to tax cuts as a "cost" to the government.

    By Blogger John Beauregard, at 3:02 PM  

  • Well said.

    By Blogger Marcel, at 9:59 AM  

  • If GMS is indeed empty would not it be a good idea to lift the IP ban to other regions? I reside in a region banned from GMS and from my experience many people I do party pursuit with are from regions banned from GMS. Problem is we need to use proxys and things to have the ability to playwith, Maplestory M mesos which provides us small lag. Many people are really bothered by this although in my opinion it is OK and some does not even play the game anymore.

    Maplestory was good before because there was a neighborhood, there was always people available to play and chat. I think when nexon opened GMS to more regions, more players could be back, maplestory 2 mesos shop more NX would be bought. I am sure when the game got lively, many north american players would return into the game.

    By Blogger Selfless, at 7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home