Musings

Monday, September 08, 2008

Rush Limbaugh - 20 Years

Twenty years have passed since Rush has come onto the scene. I recall first hearing about him in 1988 when I was in Mishawaka, IN, we were in a restaurant in which he had eaten the day before. The waitresses were still talking about him. I heard him on the radio about a month later and was not impressed enough to attempt to listen again. Besides, I was working twelve hour days, six days a week, how much free time did I have? Nevertheless, from time-to-time I did catch his program, albeit only for a few minutes at a time. I slowly came to realize this was no ordinary talker. He was very knowledgeable, creative, had funny satirical songs made for him, (One that comes to mind now is "The Justice Brothers" about Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton) knew exactly what the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence said, railed against Government waste, had a phenomonal memory, disliked Liberals with a passion, and most of all was able to predict what the news would be a week in advance. When I mentioned his name to Paulette, she would immediately show revulsion and tell me she could not see anything good about the man. She called him egotistical, a blow hard. She particularly disliked his saying that he had "talent on loan from God." Or that he was right 99.6% of the time. She was mystified as to how I could find anything good in listening to him. For me, I would just smile and nod, I knew no matter what I would say she would not change her mind. This disagreement had no effect on our mutual admiration of each other. Now that I am retired my listening time has increased. I have even bought a small radio with ear pieces so that I can listen while shopping. There are times when he makes such a good point that I will laugh out loud, which happened to me the other day while in Wallmart. There were two ladies nearby and I had to apologize to them in case they might think I was laughing at them. Some people think he is a Republican but those who listen regularly know that is not so. He is critical of Republicans when they misbehave or are not conservative enough. He is a conservative first and desires this Country to remain great and be true to it's promise of freedom for all. Since the liberal agenda is to pinch our freedoms (in favor of big government), to reward people who make bad choices, to support public screwls (his pronunciation) as opposed to allowing the freedom of vouchers, increase taxes, etc, most of his criticisms are toward liberals. And he does it in a humorous manner. In case you have never heard him (I know you have heard about him) I highly recommend his radio program, providing you have the time to listen. Remember, work comes first.

3 Comments:

  • I listen to Limbaugh whenever I can to balance the biased agendas of the major news sources. See my latest blog on this sublect at:
    http://jgbeau.blogspot.com/

    By Blogger John Beauregard, at 10:50 AM  

  • I have such a hard time listening to Rush. He is so over the top in his on air rantings, and makes himself and HIS beliefs to be the only ones that matter.

    I totally agree with my mom. Shocker, no?

    By Blogger Adrienne, at 5:40 PM  

  • Little known family secret. Karl wanted to read Rush's book, I think it was called Told You So, when he was sick. Mom hated it, but got the book for him. Knowing him as I did, I think he would have enjoyed "Rush Limbaugh is a big fat liar" more, but it came out too late.

    Personally I would rather listen to Rush than Sean Hannity or Bill Reily. But when I get to the point that those are my only choices on talk radio I usually turn it off.

    By Blogger Gretchen, at 8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home