Musings

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Life Is Good

John's recent blog caused me to say to myself: "Yes, life is good." It is blessed with shelter, work, friends and food. Lets look at food. I have changed my diet recently to include four-bean salad and cole slaw. I eat a serving of one of these every other day. The bean salad comes from B.J.'s and it is made by Paisley Farm, it comes in a 64 oz. jar, the price is $5.50. The salad is vinegar based and is very tasty, so tasty that I use the juice from the jar to put on my cole slaw, which is merely a bag of shredded stuff from Walmart. I do not eat much and it all lasts me for quite a while. I use it for my fourth meal of the day. Breakfast, three days of the week, consists of a McDonald's burrito with two hot sauce and a cup of seniors coffee. The other days I have orange juice, raisin-bran cereal, milk and half a banana. Lunch can be crunchy peanut butter and crackers (remember Marty buys his in a twenty gallon drum,) or cheese and crackers with water. On rare occasions I will have two ounces of wine with the cheese and crackers. Other lunches can be one-half a hot pastrami sub from Subway or, a Justaburger from "What-A-Burger," or can of Campbell's Soup, or a can of tuna fish and crackers. About four days a month there will be senior lunches and when I go to these they become my large meal of the day. On those days, diner can be 12 medium shrimp with cocktail sauce with wine, or one slice of pizza, or an ear of corn-on-the-cob with salt and real butter, or one slice of sourdough bread with two tomato slices on it. Sunday dinner is always pasta with vegetarian sauce, Texas toast and a three ounce glass of wine. I need the carbs. for my 5:30, Monday morning, cycle class. Without those carbs. I finish the ride with an empty tank and it takes an hour to recover, with them I finish fine and am refreshed. Other dinners can be a half-order of Chinese food, or one-sixth of a rotisserie chicken, or a Quarter Pounder from McDonald's (no fries or drink), or a ham and cheese sandwich from Hardee's. Snacks are alternated among: a handful of pistachios, or a handful of cashews, or a Fuji apple, or about 15 grapes, or some cantaloupe. Oh yes, every day I have chocolate, about 20 M& M's with water. When I watch a ballgame I will always pop a bag of popcorn, light butter, and eat it all with a coke. Yes indeed, life is good.

8 Comments:

  • I think you reached middle age.

    Remember back in the old days, at Hyperion, when I mentioned how all those middle aged people only talked about food ?

    By Blogger Tim B., at 7:28 PM  

  • Is food all you find good in life? You really are getting OLD!

    Talking about food reminds me, I went to Cosco with Nancy a few weeks ago and there found the answer to world hunger. Every aisle has someone handing out food samples. By the time you leave you're NOT hungry. If we bought everyone a $35 Cosco annual membership there would be no more world hunger. How cheep is that??

    By Blogger John Beauregard, at 8:31 PM  

  • When Adam was little I used to feed him lunch that way. He could go from aisle to aisle and get a pretty good meal.

    By Blogger Adrienne, at 11:27 PM  

  • you forgot about your cherry tomato fix

    By Blogger cheryl, at 8:36 AM  

  • what happened to family in that mixture of life being good? Or does that go without saying?

    By Blogger cheryl, at 9:01 AM  

  • To all respondents: Go back and read the first three sentences and you will see I only picked one of a few. If you desire I will also expound on the others.

    By Blogger Marcel, at 4:23 PM  

  • Yes, please...I really could use a booster shot of why life is good.

    By Blogger Tim B., at 6:21 AM  

  • You are unreal! I cannot remember what I ate yesterday.

    By Blogger Monica, at 6:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home