Musings

Friday, April 18, 2008

New Computer

My 1998 Gateway computer has been replaced with a 2008 Hewlett Packard Slimline. The Slimline is a table top and is much smaller than the usual computer. It is about 10" high and 4.25" wide. It is very fast and I am able to open U-Tube sites and play them. The price at Best Buy was only $475 and it came with a new key board and mouse. It had Microsoft Vista loaded on it. The first thing I did was to load AOL 9.0 SE onto it and I had trouble right away. My address book and favorites (including blogs) would not come up. I spent ten days with AOL experts trying to get what I wanted. It was all very frustrating because they had me try many things. Finally, I took it back to Best Buy and told them I had a defective computer. A member of their Geek Squad looked it over and soon discovered that Vista is not compatible with AOL 9.0, it is only compatible with 9.1. He installed 9.1 and everything fell into place. My salesman failed to tell me this. Additional info I got was that a file transfer called a Link (connecting two computers together using USB ports) was not a good thing to do with an old computer like mine. There is an impedance mismatch when old and new are hooked together. He recommended I get a Cruiser and transfer files using it. Today I am back in business.

4 Comments:

  • Get a Cruiser (flash drive) anyway, it's great. I have a 4GB one. I use it every month to backup all my documents, photos, songs, and favorites. When I worked for Boeing I traveled with my laptop. Now I only travel with my cruiser and use someone else PC.

    By Blogger John Beauregard, at 5:11 PM  

  • Oh yes, flash drives are an awesome thing. I asked for and received one for Christmas, and I use it all the time. I have to write lots of papers, and using my own printer can become expensive with frequent ink changes. However, I can save my documents (or Power Point slides, PDF files, etc.) to my flash drive, and print them off in an on-campus computer lab for free. This is much easier than the alternative way of e-mailing the file to myself, which sometimes doesn't send correctly or clogs up the e-mail account.

    By Blogger Sean M., at 6:42 PM  

  • Tell me, did it come with the GREAT Microsoft Vista??? Ours did and I had a hell of a time figuring it out. It is a pain in the ass to move around in word and excel... It made me feel like I knew nothing about the two.

    By Blogger KRISTA, at 3:53 AM  

  • Yes Krista, it came with Vista and that it why I had trouble with AOL. Using Vista takes some time to understand. Of course, Word is now shown in "Microsoft Works" as is Excel (now shown as Spreadsheet). There are other features that are still baffaling but I am determined to learn it all.

    By Blogger Marcel, at 3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home