Musings

Monday, March 31, 2008

Update on McDonald's Characters

Some time ago I described a person known as "Rock", a disgusting fellow. Last Saturday, as I entered McDonald's, Rock immediately came up to me to ask if I was going to see Cliff Stearns at City Hall. (Cliff was making the rounds in his congressional district with Town hall Meetings.) I told him I was planning on attending. He said he would be there too in order to complain about the Economic Stimulus Refund. It appears Rock will not be getting a refund and thinks it stinks for all poor people to not get any money, he personally wanted some. He ranted about the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer. Surprisingly, some others within earshot agreed. Rock was dressed in his motorcycle togs, leather jacket, Levi's and bandanna on his head. I observed him as he rode away on his bike. It was not the bike he had once described to me but instead a small, measly, crummy looking bike. He did not wear a helmet. Frank is in the hospital with pneumonia, had spent four days in intensive care, and had been moved to a regular room when I went to see him. He looked very small in the bed, probably now weighs about 110 pounds. He recognized me when I walked in and got a small smile on his face. He has difficulty speaking and is on oxygen. I had planned to ask him about making a death bed conversion but he was too weak to really carry on a conversation. His grandson, Joe, was there and he told me that Frank has dementia. Shortly after he told me that, Frank said that his wife was coming to see him. Joe said: "No grandpa your daughter is coming to see you." Frank insisted his wife was coming and Joe whispered to me "dementia." (Frank's wife died about four years ago.) Finally, Frank said: "Oh yeah my daughter is coming to see me." A nurse came in to say that a little later she would be in to give him a back rub. Frank's immediate reply was "OK, then you can take your clothes off and I will give you a rub down." She just smiled and left the room. Frank closed his eyes and laid there for a long time, he appeared to be sleeping. I took this opportunity and left. I had been there about ten minutes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home