Musings

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Miscellaneous Reading

Having been made aware that Jesus often read from the book of Isaiah, my curiousity was stimulated. Why did he do that? What was the fascination for him in that book? What does it hold that brought him back to it? In all, there are only fifty-five pages. I decided to read it in it's entirety. The book starts out slow and after a few pages I am hoping it picks up. It gets slower for the next ten pages and I suspect I am wasting my time. But, I am determined to get through it. Another ten pages and still there is no recompense for the boredom. The writing is really bad and I suspect that it reads better in the Hebrew. It does cover the Babalonion exile and the ultimate release from it by Cyrus, King of Persia. I found it curious that the writer called Cyrus "a friend of god" since he had been instrumental in releasing the Hebrews. In other words, Cyrus was not a member of the chosen people, yet he was "a friend of God." I finally got through the whole book and I admit it was a chore. What did Jesus see in this book? Of course, he saw the prediction of John the Baptist and the one who was to follow him, the son of man. These he took to refer to himself and that his life was fulfilling the prophesy of Isaiah. Nevertheless, it is an extremely dull book and I do not believe I will do that again in my lifetime.

2 Comments:

  • I would call this doing penance to read something so dull that you don't understand, yet keep reading thinking you will. What a guy.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:18 PM  

  • You've got entirely too much time on your hands.

    By Blogger John Beauregard, at 7:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home