Musings

Monday, June 30, 2008

Focus

While having lunch with three others at a very expensive restaurant in Boyne City, MI, I found that looking straight ahead gave me a clear view of a couple at a near table. He was about 30 years old and she was about 25. She was a magnificent female specimen, elegantly clothed, beautiful makeup and would catch any eye that make a visual sweep of the restaurant. I would look her way from time to time because she was so stunning. My view was a slight side view of them both but I could see almost all of her face. Yet, as I glanced that way, I came to realize that there was something strange going on. She gazed at her table mate's face all the time. He appeared to do all the talking. She did not take her eyes off of him, did not scan around the restaurant, did not notice that I glanced at her. She was eating, but not much, and was able to retain eye contact with him with every bite. As our meal arrived and we started to eat I stopped glancing at her (remember she was directly in my line of sight) and temporarily forgot about her. A waiter approached that table with the bill, he checked it and immediately gave a card. When the tray was returned by the waiter she looked down at her plate as he signed. When he stood up, she stood up. He put his coat on (they had been thrown over the back of the chairs) and then helped her with her coat. Again, while putting her coat on she did not scan the restaurant or look at any other table. She took his arm and they left the restaurant. I had never seen anything like that before and have never seen anything like it since. This has been a puzzle to me for 15 years.

3 Comments:

  • Sounds like a Stepford scenario.

    By Blogger EZ Travel, at 5:34 AM  

  • Erika, I don't know what that means, I never watched "The Stepford Wives." Also, that was a late dinner and not lunch as I reported.

    By Blogger Marcel, at 11:57 AM  

  • In the movie the wives were all programmed to be completely attentive and completely subservient to their husbands. They would move into the neighborhood perfectly normal with friends and interests of their own, but soon they would disappear for a short time and come back unable to look away from their man.

    By Blogger EZ Travel, at 5:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home