Musings

Saturday, May 31, 2008

Rotator Cuff

My left shoulder is still affected by a rotator cuff injury I had in 1987. At that time, I had therapy that did not do much good. Recently, I saw an orthopedist who took X-rays and declared I have an arthritic nodule about .5 inches long and my shoulder socket is full of arthritis. He suggested that I live with it and if it gets worse I may need a shoulder replacement. He could tell I was not satisfied with his declaration and added; "Of course, you can see someone else for a second opinion, and, I can recommend you to a young surgeon that is doing wonders with arthroscopic surgery." Now that was what I wanted to hear. Someone on the technological edge to see what he could do. There have been great advances in shoulder surgery during the last twenty years and maybe I can be helped. My shoulder restrictions are: shorter range of motion in some directions, pain when attempting some movements, less strength on the left side, inability to swim as I once did, sleep discomfort if I sleep on my left side and pain if I inadvertently sleep directly on my left shoulder. When teaching my classes I must be careful not to attempt some movements. This limits the advances that some students can make because they are emulating the movements that I make. Of course, most of my students do have some limitations of their own and they are instructed to only do what they can. So, for me, I am not concerned when a student stops doing an exercise we are all doing. Still, I would like to teach all movements that will benefit them. I have not yet contacted the new surgeon.

2 Comments:

  • Talk about procrastination, whew.
    You've put up with it for 21 years, what's a few more? Don't be in a hurry.

    Pat

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:44 PM  

  • One day I should get my "rotor cup" looked at too.

    By Blogger Tim B., at 12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home