Musings

Saturday, October 16, 2010

A Hawk

While having lunch today, I became aware of a hawk that was circling over the fairway. It was only his shadow that I could see and he appeared to be going in a large ellipse. I got up to see what his target might be and could see nothing on the ground. At times he would swoop low and then rise for altitude. My view was obstructed by my trees and some bushes, but I knew he was not there to while away his time. I have only seen one squirrel in the last week and that was yesterday, could he have spotted mine. The hawks have been doing a great job for the last two years, nearly eliminating our screen damage from them. Pat would become angry when squirrels would run up and down our screens, rush out onto the back porch and yell. Most of the time they moved off but if they did not get all the way off Pat would run at them to make them move off. Dawn's dog, Bonnie, always ran after squirrels and they would jump on the fence and scamper off. Bonnie threw her hip out chasing after a squirrel, cost Dawn some real expense to get her whole again. I'm lucky, not only do the hawks eliminate the squirrels, but if a hawk gets hurt he is on his own. I am aware that the environmentalists are working hard to save the polar bears and their food is seals. What exactly is it that the environmentalists have against seals. On a similar note: on Fleming Island nearby there is a Golden Eagle nest. There are large signs near the bottom of the tree that warn of high fines and jail time if a nest is disturbed. At the street there is even a larger sign giving the same warning. When a Golden Eagle egg is broken - jail time. When a human embryo is disturbed no jail time. Is an eagle worth more than a human?

6 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home