Musings

Monday, February 21, 2011

Unsustainable

This word, unsustainable, is the new word for the year 2011. This is the word that many must learn and it is not a palatable word. I learned this word while in the fourth grade. I bought a small bag of fish oil potato chips for two cents, they were delicious. The next day I bought another bag, followed by another bag the following day. I was left with a nickle and realized that I would run out of pennies in a few days. Yes, the chips were good but the rate the money was going down was not sustainable, I would soon be out of money. That was not acceptable to me and I stopped purchases of chips. Many of our cities have run out of money, many of our states have run out of money, this Country has run out of money. Borrowing and bailouts have become the fall-back of choice for many people but this is unsustainable. If a nine year old can learn so can all thinking people. Unfortunately, we have many people that do not want to learn but, like an addict, want things to remain the same. Taking it from those that have it is not just, or fair. It would not have been just or fair for me to look for others to buy me chips. It was up to me to solve the problem I had brought on myself. How many will be able to learn this word - unsustainable?

2 Comments:

  • A problem I see is everyone wants cuts, as long as they don't affect them. How many seniors are willing to accept reduced benefits, or means testing? How many current workers are willing to have an older social security retirement date? Are public sector workers willing to endure the hardships their private sector brothers are enduring? How long can we survive only taxing 50% of the citizenry, how about expanding the tax base instead of raising taxes.

    I believe any realist can see the problem, but no one with the power to do something about it is willing to take any meaningful actions. It is time to take a serious look at term limits, then maybe the political repercussions could be more easily tolerated.

    By Blogger David, at 8:02 PM  

  • Expressed like a true Tea Partier. Lets get back to the Constitution.

    By Blogger Marcel, at 11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home