Musings

Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Sprinkler Repair

Last year the grass near the driveway began to look very bad. I made an extra effort to water more in order to improve that area. I suspected my neighbor, who shares some of the space with me, (overlap) was not watering enough. The company that does the fertilizing for my lawn recently did it and requested a watering within 24 hours. I did not do it because it was supposed to rain. It did not rain and I was forced to water in the daytime. When I turned the sprinklers on, surprise!, one of the sprinklers was broken, the one that would have protected the poor area. I turned that zone off and watered the other three zones. Now for the repair. It is quite easy to get to a sprinkler head, merely dig around it until the main line is reached. The head, about five inches long, had broken from being run over. Riding on the grass on the left side of the driveway does no damage, no sprinklers on that side. Obviously, Pat or I rode onto the right side and broke it. The head easily screws out and I am off to ACE Hardware for a replacement. They do not have one, I must go to Home Depot. Yep, even though the sprinkler system is eleven years old, they have what I need. Some Teflon tape on the threads, screw the head in, test for integrity, and I am back in business. Cost, $4.76 not counting the driving expense.

6 Comments:

  • Hooray! I finally get to ask YOU !!

    How long did it take and what is your time worth?

    By Blogger Tim B., at 2:19 PM  

  • Tim's comment had me laughing for several minutes!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 7:21 AM  

  • Touche! It took about three days from start to finish. Had to rest, ponder, plan, amuse myself, find the shovel and use it, decide what to do when the break was discovered, buy the parts, reassemble the head and istall, test, close the hole and arrange the sod.

    Actual work and driving time - three hours. Gas $2.50. Labor espense - zero, my time has no value (your Mother's impression.)

    By Blogger Marcel, at 11:04 AM  

  • What is the value of sleeping and reading all day?

    By Blogger Marcel, at 4:02 PM  

  • Pat accually said that.

    By Blogger Marcel, at 4:03 PM  

  • I laughed so hard I almost wet my pants.

    Sprinkler head $4.76
    Time well spent $2.50
    Time napping Priceless

    By Blogger cheryl, at 8:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home