Musings

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Downer Music

It is a nice sunny day today and the drive to Church was pleasant. I usually get there early so I can go over the readings at the mass. There were noticeably more people in Church today and I wondered why. Near the start of the mass, a voice came over the sound system that requested all persons to leave the Church for the start of the mass and procession into the Church. Arggg, this is Palm Sunday and the congregation is expected to start the procession outside, emulating the people that followed Jesus to Jerusalem. Near me are a few people, over seventy, that have a good deal of trouble walking and kneeling. Once in place it is an imposition on them to get up and enter the procession. I stayed in place in sympathy with those old people. (Yes, really.) While entering the Church all the people were singing "Hosanna," using four syllables. This was sung about thirty times - it gets old. Once in, the music used for this mass consisted of flute and clarinet, no piano, no organ. I am used, at this point, to feel uplifted and joyful; but this brought me down. Being down is the point, we are sorrowful that Jesus has begun his Passion toward death on the cross. During the mass we had more hosannas (meaning: pray, save us) and the music never got better. The kids nearby were hitting one another with the palms they were given. A girl of about sixteen sat weaving crosses out of her palms. A young couple nearby, in a playful way, kept prodding one another with their palms. The entire story of the Passion is read while the congregation is standing, an imposition on the older adults because it is long. The effect of mournful music did get to me and I began to feel bad. Yes, remembering Jesus died on the cross for me is important, but feeling bad goes against my nature.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home