Musings

Friday, March 11, 2011

A Blessing - A Curse

In one of the readings this past Sunday there was a portion of the Old Testament read that took me back to St. Gabriel's in Detroit. It was something that I heard a nun talking about when I was in the sixth grade. She talked about "A Blessing - A Curse." It was in reference to the Ten Commandments. Moses told the Israelites: "I bring a blessing and a curse. These ten commandments, if you follow them, will be a blessing to you. Those that do not follow them receive a curse." As I look back on my life, I find that those words are true. The people that I have known that do not observe the ten commandments are indeed cursed, they always have trouble in one way of another. Those that are observant of the ten commandments seem to have happy families and good things happen to them in their lives. I am pained that some of my grandchildren are ignorant of the ten commandments, or ignore them because they do not want to obey them. To follow the ten commandments takes some fortitude, but it is not impossible. Each person recieves the strength necessary to obey along with the ability to resolve to do what is right. It does require self discipline, the ability to postpone gratification to a later time. After that, it is all a piece of cake.

8 Comments:

  • Take heart, your grandchildren will be fine. It is absolutely not necessary to follow the 10 commandments to have a wonderful life.

    While I do follow most of them, just because they are the right thing to do (not to mention the law), I miss some of the biggies like obeying the sabbath and having other gods (I don't find I need any). I generally honor my father, but if he was being an ass I would call him an ass (hi daddy), and I have a pretty wonderful life and a father that loves me. I also know plenty of good Catholics, that observe like crazy, and still have trouble follow them wherever they go.

    The golden rule is much more applicable. If you wouldn't want someone to do it to you, don't do it to them.

    BTW we are still reading Harry Potter and I totally pictured Voldemort as a nun telling you you would be CURSED!

    By Blogger EZ Travel, at 4:51 AM  

  • Erika,
    Having a "wonderful life" could be the curse. You may remember: "What does it gain a man if he gains the whole world but suffers the loss of his soul."

    You state: "I know plenty of good Catholics that observe like crazy..." Remember, the Catholic Church is composed of sinners - every one of those members a sinner. Each are trying to save their souls and try to do what God has commanded. Because we are weak we fall and from there attempt to return to God's good graces, and stay there.

    The Golden Rule is good for those who do not know Jesus. It does not work well when contemplating an abortion.

    I don't know anythng about Harry Potter but I am aware that there are curses in there. I do recall the movie "Moonstruck" in which Cher is seeing her boy friend off at the airport. As the plane is flying away, an old Italian woman turns to her and says: "I put a curse on that plane so that it will crash before it reaches Italy. My sister is on that plane and I hate her for stealing my boy friend forty years ago. The plane will crash in the Atlantic." Cher merely looks at her and says: "I don't believe in curses." To that the old lady says: "Niether do I."

    By Blogger Marcel, at 1:16 PM  

  • But that is all part of my dastardly plan, I don't need to worry about my soul.

    Knowing that I am a kind, generous person is the end-game. I don't do it because it will save my soul, I do it because it is the right thing to do.

    Your original post said "Those that are observant of the ten commandments seem to have happy families and good things happen to them in their lives." My claim is that you are self-selecting who you are looking at. For every person you could name that observes the 10 commandments and has a good life, I could match with someone who does not observe the 10 commandments and has an equally good life (academia is full of them).

    I love Moonstruck. "Somebody tell a joke."

    By Blogger EZ Travel, at 12:59 PM  

  • Not only academia but Hollywood too.

    By Blogger Marcel, at 4:58 PM  

  • There were some people in Florida who didn't 'know jesus', but I sure they've been smite by now.
    Za

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:39 PM  

  • I find number 3 most challenging on the golf course.

    By Blogger John Beauregard, at 7:53 AM  

  • For me it's the windmill.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:12 AM  

  • Would anonymous and za please explain their comments. Sorry, but neither one makes any sense.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home