Musings

Friday, July 08, 2011

Thankful for .......

Every day I find that there are things about which I am thankful. For the most part they recently have been invented. All have made my life simpler and better.

1. Zip-lock sandwich bags. I do not like to throw food away and I stop eating before I am full. Putting a small amount of food in a bag and refrigerating it is perfect for me.

2. Cross-Trainer Tennis Shoes. These shoes are very comfortable and it is a rare time when I will wear a regular oxford shoe.

3. A Credit Card. I no longer carry bills or change in my pocket. The card is accepted everywhere I go. At McDonald's I find it so much easier to merely swipe my card. I will admit to a slight irritation when a person in front of me takes some time to count out the correct change for the cashier and the cashier must also take time to count. When the server puts the lid on the top of my coffee I try not to think what when I sip the coffee it is like licking that servers fingers. Lets all use a card.

4. Small radio with ear-buds. It is my desire not to disturb others, especially Pat. My radio is very quiet and she is able to carry on her life without hearing a radio station in which she is not interested.

5. Magnifier glasses. These glasses cost only one dollar and I usually buy them three at a time. I have worked my way from 1.5 diopmeres all the way to 3.5 diopmeres.

6. Remote TV control. This is perfect in bed or when there are more desirable shows on other channels.

7. Charmin Ultra Soft toilet paper, 2-ply. This is perfect for me, four individual sheets nearly always does it. It is an improvement over the method of some of my grandchildren who use either the wrap around the fingers technique, or the wadded ball.

8. Shirts with a left pocket. These are excellent for carrying my glasses. Fortunately, Pat was able to buy me about eight of these shirts.

9. Remote car lock. The added feature of being able to have the car beep when looking for it is a great help. An even greater help, when living in the North, was the automatic starter so that the car would be warm when getting into it.

10. Floss picks. Using floss was devastating to my fingers as I had to painfully wind that thin thread around my fingers.

11. Fingernail clippers. I have found an excellent clipper after using other makes that were not satisfactory. I use them for hand and foot. What did they ever use in the Middle Ages?

12. Bic razors. These very inexpensive razors do a good job, one will last me for about three weeks.

13. Traffic light auto sensors. When there is no traffic from either direction, I get a feeling that everything is under control in the universe when the light immediately changes for me.

14. Foam soap dispenser. Never having to deal with a bar of soap that has hair on it, or the soap is extremely soft from soaking in a puddle is a benefit. Besides, exactly the right amount can be dispensed.

15. A morning pastoral scene. Living on the golf course yields a very nice view when I get up in the morning. I do not close the blinds so I can look out on that scene. The English Pastoralist School of painting went out of their way to create beautiful scenery in their paintings and I have it every morning.

5 Comments:

  • I could go on and on about most of these things but the car sensor in the road is the best. We have a few near our house and it is like magic. What a great invention.

    By Blogger EZ Travel, at 3:07 PM  

  • I am most thankful for my lap top PC. It sits on my lap while resting in my easy chair watching TV. I get all my TV programing information at zap2it.com to program my Tivo up to 14 days in advance. If a TV commercial comes on or a program Nancy wants but I don't I do email, blog or Sudoku on my lap top. I get up to the minute news (including stocks) or I can listen to talk radio. I make golf reservations and airline reservations on my lap top. Nancy also uses it in her easy chair to do email and download and store recipes. I shop on line for everything from a new TV to golf equipment. Lately I have taken to downloading books (PDF) and reading them on my laptop (don't need a kindle). All this and much more without leaving my easy chair.

    By Blogger John Beauregard, at 3:24 PM  

  • I am thankful for this post. It made me laugh at several points, and I needed that this morning! I love you Grandpa!

    Tarren

    By Blogger Tarren, at 6:07 AM  

  • John,

    That laptop does a lot for you and of course you are thankful for it. My computer is on a desk, from which I watch TV. It is difficult for me to have a laptop because I often eat while watching TV, a laptop would merely serve as a napkin on my lap. Does this ever show up on your laptop: popcorn hulls, salsa drips, ketchup, mustard, ice cream drips (chocolate pieces from an ice cream bar), coke drips, pickle juice? All these have shown up on my desk and all are easily wiped away with a damp sponge. Exactly what shows up under the seat cusion of that easy chair?

    By Blogger Marcel, at 10:23 AM  

  • It’s easy to see you value simplicity and convenience.
    Tracy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home