Musings

Friday, June 03, 2011

Mike Koscianski

This morning I went to Mike's funeral at St. Luke's Catholic Church. Mike has been in my AOA class for about nine years. He recently contacted pancreatic cancer and within seven months he died. Seven months ago he weighed 260 pounds and he died at 165 pounds. He had been a smoker all his life and he was smoking at his last Bar-B-Q outing last year. He was a great host and had lots of drinks available along with the varied smoked meats. He was very competent with his huge outdoor smoker and liked to show it off.

Mike was the third male to die out of my class in two years. The other two merely fell over and died on the spot, not at the Y. Five females from the class have had cancer in the past two years and three are survivors. I have no information on how much smoking they did, I am not nosey.

Pat saw Harold chance at Church last Sunday and reported he looked to be very ill. Harold dropped out of my class about three years ago, he could not keep up. Bill McGrane is undergoing Chemo Therapy at this time and has recently returned to the classes on a limited basis.

All the above might lead you to believe we are all a sickly lot. You will have to take my word for it that the class participants lead active and contented lives. Se La Vie.

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home