Musings

Friday, December 08, 2006

Puccini revisited

Tim loaned me his copy of "My Favorite Puccini" by London Records. I had told him that I was not pleased with the Puccini CD that I had purchased at Best Buy. Putting it in football terms: my CD was Highschool and his is Professional. In my recording there were no names available to tell who is singing. In Tim's CD every piece is labeled with the singer. Pavorotti sings most of the male parts and he has excellent, clear notes. His voice is astounding when the notes go up and the volume goes up at the same time. Another singer of note is Renata Tebaldi. She whispers some notes and they are clear and crisp, she turns up the volume and the notes are still clear and crisp. Her voice control is so good she cannot be heard breathing. Their is no slurring or sliding off notes. At one point, I heard a breath taken and was startled to hear it. I checked the information sheet and found it was being sung by Leontyne Price. Price was good but not as good as Tebaldi. I have played the full CD twice and my emotion was the same each time. The information sheet gives a thumbnail sketch of what is happening and what is being sung. Tim says he will make me a copy of this CD because he does want it back.

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home