Musings

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Breast Cancer

There are three people in my class that have had breast cancer that have recovered and are doing well. Pat's sister just had a breast removed and is doing well. This morning I was talking to my friend Charlie and he said his wife, Jackie, is getting better. Has there been a medical turning point on breast cancer so that it is not the big problem it used to be? Pat recently told me that the breast cancer Colleen had is now treatable. I hope this advance in the medical field is true and they improve even more. I recently read up on lymph nodes so I could understand the effects of exercising in my classes. Until then, I had no idea what the spleen did. (It has lymph nodes.) My major finding was the fact that lymph vessels do not have smooth muscle around them. They are not independently equipped to move fluid around. The manner that fluid moves is through the movement of muscles. In my class we do many arm movements where many lymph nodes are located. Exercise has the ability to move lymph from 5 to 15 times greater than normal. I hope I am on to something and can add additional safety for those who attend my classes.

1 Comments:

  • That information about lymph nodes is news to me! In all my years of taking Biology classes, all but one of my teachers has skipped completely over the lymphatic system. It's good to hear that exercise has yet another good effect on the body, and that progress is being made on the cancer front.

    By Blogger Sean M., at 1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home