Musings

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Being There

After my classes, I came home to watch the Inauguration. It pleased me that I was warm while watching, and I felt sorry for the discomfort for those that were there. Age has overtaken my desire to "be there." I am not sure that "being there" was ever a big thing in my life. The magic of television allows me to be very close to the ceremony, to hear distinctly what is being said, to be free of distractions like conversations of other people, or being crowd jostled, or fatigued from standing. The driving traffic, parking problems and long walk to the venue are happily avoided as I sit at home with a seat that is better than any $150 seat. While watching, I ate my lunch: grapes, a handful of cashews, water and a half of a sausage and egg McMuffin (left over from breakfast.) The sandwich lost its warmth and I put it in the Microwave for ten seconds. I like the temperature to be just right. I pitied the people on the Mall that they would not enjoy a temperature controlled meal, or perhaps, no meal at all. I took time to go to the bathroom and the seat was warm, felt good. Were the porta-potties on the Mall heated? Did anybody have to wait in line? Being there is highly overrated.

6 Comments:

  • Every new year's eve Gordon says "we should go to Times Square next year", and I laugh.

    I would have loved to have been there today, if all of those other people weren't. But I guess w/o those other people there wouldn't have been a there. If you know what I mean.

    By Blogger Gretchen, at 8:12 PM  

  • I agree wholeheartedly.
    They would be miserable if it were not for their excitement and sense of witnessing history first hand.
    The only professional football game I ever attended was terrible. The action was so far away I never knew what was happening. At home the chair is comfortable, the weather is warm and dry, the beer is cold and I can see all the action (sometime twice). The only live sporting event I enjoy is hockey.

    By Blogger John Beauregard, at 12:40 PM  

  • I agree. Wish I had something profound to add, but Dad and Uncle John captured my feelings.

    By Blogger Tim B., at 1:38 PM  

  • I totally agree, especially not having to stand in line with a bunch of people to go into a stinky port a potty.
    I've got upfront seats right in the living room on a big screen and saw everything.

    By Blogger patb, at 2:36 PM  

  • Yes Gretchen, I know what you mean. Experiencing the crowd is an important ingredient to being there. This reminds me of the old joke: "I love people but I can't stand crowds."

    By Blogger Marcel, at 5:24 PM  

  • People who are familiar with me know that I am an ardent lover of pandora bracelets and charms . If you are allowed to have a look of my jewelry case, you will absolutely be both amazed and envious of what you see. You can purchase additional links from dealers and also have them install more or interchange charms.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home