Musings

Sunday, November 02, 2008

All Souls

Today, November 1st, is All Souls Day. It does not fall on a Sunday often but today we had a homily preached on praying for the souls of our loved ones. All during this mass I could not stop thinking about Paulette. In case you have forgotten, this is the day set aside to pray specifically for a persons soul to leave Purgatory and enter Heaven. I have a remembrance of my Mother saying to me: "If you were in Purgatory wouldn't you want someone to be praying for you?" I think at the time she was praying for her sister, Irene. I recall the image I had at that time, it was of a large railroad station with many people milling about. Those that were finally released from Purgatory were getting on the train. OK, that's how I saw it. Did Dante do any better in his vision of "Purgatorio?"

3 Comments:

  • I pray that your prayers are answered.

    Pat

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:03 PM  

  • I had a very similar visual of purgatory in my head as a child. It really didn't seem that bad.

    By Blogger EZ Travel, at 2:22 PM  

  • I only vaguely recall Mama talking about Purgatory. I recall the nuns telling me that every time we pray for a deceased loved one in Purgatory they get closer to heaven. No one could ever tell me who is still in Purgatory so I usually pray by name for all those I loved when they were on earth.

    By Blogger John Beauregard, at 4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home