Musings

Saturday, October 11, 2008

Chili Cookoff

Today, the Y had a Chili Cookoff. I had attended one over three years ago, a Green Cove Springs event, and had tasted some very good chili. My anticipation was for pleasing tastes while sampling. The first one I tasted was made by Dorothy, one of my students. As I put some in my cup she asked if I wanted to add some sour cream. Sour cream with chili? Never heard of it. I said no and tasted the chili, it had a sour taste. I asked if she had already put some sour cream in it, she said no. I told her it tasted sour to me and she was surprised and said no one had ever said that before. The next chili I tasted had a lot of green pepper in it but did not have much strength, it was bland. The third chili was made by Terri, a Y office employee. I could see no chili beans in a most tomato filled sauce. It was heavy with a tomato paste taste. I asked Terri why she did not have beans in the chili. she answered: "Marcel, my kids do not like beans in their chili so I grind them up and add them as a puree. Also, it was kind of thin so I added more tomato paste to thicken." The next chili was labeled as "Texas Hot" and the cook was not there. I looked at it and could see no chili beans, it was mostly dark meat. I skipped it and looked at the next chili, which was a yellow cream color. Chili that does not have tomatoes, I think not. The next chili looked great, tasted good but was not hot enough for me. When I get chili at Wendy's I always add two hot sauces to it. That is what I needed for this one. The next one had macaroni in it. The lady behind it said she always makes it that way in order to fill up her children. Macaroni, not for me. The next one had some corn in it and I mentioned that it looked like Brunswick Stew. That lady said she makes it just like her Brunswick Stew but adds some cumin, I passed. Next came a friend of mine, who does not attend my classes because he has a severely crippled leg. He told me his was going to be the best. Also, he had onions, cheese and grated jalapeno to add as desired. I tasted his without adding anything and found it had good beans but was bland. He wanted me to add some jalapeno but all I wanted was just some good chili. I went back to the "Texas Hot" to try that. The pot was almost full, not many tasting it. I used a new cup and put a little into it. I got only a little sauce and a lot of meat. The taste was terrible and I wanted to spit it out. No way did this taste like chili. The meat was very dark, what could it be? Possum, armadillo, rabbit or deer, it was not anything I could identify. I threw my cup away. At the end of the event all the pots were empty except the Texas Hot, and the cook was nowhere to be seen. Be very careful when attending a chili cookoff.

6 Comments:

  • OMG possum chili? Just the thought will have me avoiding all chili cookoffs that may have been in my future.

    Wendy's seems to have found the best recipe. Mom loved it, and (like you) with a good dose of hot sauce I like it too.

    By Blogger EZ Travel, at 2:53 PM  

  • So you like it hot huh! Apparently so did Paulette. I know Rita does as well. She carries packets of crushed red pepper for when she goes anywhere to eat and there is not enough spice. I too like HOT HOT spices (but not Currey). Nancy makes salsa from scratch because we cannot find any hot enough. Even so, I usually add additional ground fresh jalapeno for added spice. Um um good. If you are ever in Albuquerque you need to try green chili. Sounds bad but tastes GOOD. I have to go now. All this chili talk made me hungry.

    By Blogger John Beauregard, at 6:40 PM  

  • Mmm chili... Sounds like you need to be a food critic now! And by the way, a little sour cream in chili is an excellent addition. It thickens it up a bit and cools it down just enough. I like a little spice, but not too much, so the sour cream softens the blow a little.

    By Blogger Sean M., at 10:43 AM  

  • Hey Honey, what about the chili I've been making for 56 years, I never heard a complaint about it. Maybe I should enter the next cook-off and call it Chili Cook-on. I personally like a like bit of shredded cheddar on top.

    Pat

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:57 PM  

  • It would be interesting to hear what you have to say about Cincinnati chili. Obviously it's all the rave here... Have you tried it and do you like it if you have?

    By Blogger Sean M., at 12:59 PM  

  • The best chili is made by Pat, don't know where she got the recipe. She has just the right visuals: small green peppers, large red kidney beans, brown sauce and light grey meat. I know some of the ingredients: cummin, chili powder, touch of garlic, and , and, hmmmn that's all I know. She usually makes a large batch so that I will be able to take home about five containers of chili. Right now I am out.

    By Blogger Marcel, at 3:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home