Musings

Friday, September 26, 2008

Southpark

My first awareness of Southpark was at Lori's and Bernie's place in North Carolina. Lori said that Bernie always watched it. I glanced at the TV from time-to-time and could not understand a word they were uttering. I was surprised when one of the characters got shot. When I mentioned this to Bernie he stated that Kenny gets killed in every episode. Every night we were there Bernie watched, I could not understand a word of it. This past year I have taken to turning the TV on when I go to bed. Our Comedy Channel has Southpark at 9:30 and I watched some episodes. While I still have trouble understanding every word, I am able to get the drift of the skits. The character, Cartman, is a unique study. I am taken with his crafty, scheming, lying, reality denying personality. The writers have added genius into his role. I have watched enough to understand the personalities of all the main characters and marvel at the range of the topics the writers cover. This show is not for those that do not want to hear obscenities, are squeamish, easily shocked or deeply mired in a restrictive culture of their own making. It is all a distraction from the seriousness of our everyday world with a lot of laughs thrown in. I can even go to sleep while watching.

2 Comments:

  • Who would have thunk it... My grandfather watches "South Park."

    By Blogger Sean M., at 5:21 PM  

  • I agree. This is a show that I never thought I would like. The one I saw when it first came on was very scatalogical. But, now that I have seen a wide variety of episodes I appreciatte their unique sense of humor.

    By Blogger EZ Travel, at 7:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home