Musings

Friday, July 30, 2010

Cheese

My first taste of cheese came from grilled cheese sandwiches made by Momma, American cheese as I recall. While she made these sandwiches for us kids she never ate cheese in her life. Papa ate cheese and relished it. The first taste of pizza, very delicious, had Mozzarella cheese. When Papa entered his first pizzeria he was overcome by the smell and could not breathe. In his young years he had shovelled cow manure, horse manure and had pigs whose manure exhibits a highly offensive odor. Yet, he could not abide the smell of a pizzeria. Later, I found that adding Parmesan to spaghetti sauce gave an extra tang to pasta. Pat used to sprinkle it on salads for that pleasant taste. Bernie and Lori introduced me to Brie which is very creamy and great on a cracker. If you like butter on a soda cracker you will love the taste of Brie on a soda cracker. When we lived in Van Wert, Pat and I would go to a Greek restaurant in Fort Wayne, Indiana. It was there I learned about Feta cheese. A Greek salad, served with our steaks, had crumbled Feta cheese in it. The taste just jumped out of the salad and into the taste buds. The town of Van Wert is the only place that makes Lidercrantz cheese. I tasted it once and it was not to my taste. Lidercrantz cheese is served in most five star restaurants in the world, the cheese course comes after the desert. A restaurant in Canton, Michigan used to serve a hamburger that was stuffed with Blu Cheese. Everyone raved about it and I finally decided to try it. They were right, it was excellent. We went back often. I began to buy Blu cheese by itself and eat it with crackers, the green parts in it have never bothered me. I have tasted Limberger cheese but it was a little too strong for me. At a party, a tray of different cheeses was passed around. I sampled some Jarlsberg, Provolone, Monterrey Jack and Sharp Cheddar. Most I had tasted before but the Jarlsberg was very pleasant. Since then I have bought my share of Jarlsberg. Without exception, I always have New York Extra Sharp Cheddar cheese in the house. Recently I have been supplementing my cheese consumption with Asiago cheese, which has a strong smell and very tart taste on the tongue. And, Momma never tried cheese in her life.

5 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home