Musings

Monday, July 25, 2011

Daisy

She was one of my employees at Cordis, a small, delicate, black lady who did average work with good quality and good quantity. I had hired her when the department expanded, she always had a sitting job. The employees in manufacturing are required to wear safety glasses and most wore them. An OSHA officer had inspected one of our plants and we were fined because some employees were not wearing safety glasses. The directive went out to the other plants, all employees in manufacturing must wear their safety glasses at all times. Daisy never wore safety glasses. I assembled those that had the habit of eye wear neglect and told them the era of self policing was over, they must wear the safety glasses to enable this Company to abide by OSHA rules. The next day all were wearing safety glasses except Daisy.

When in my office, she told me glasses gave her a headache. The glasses are Plano, I told her, and there is no obscuring of normal vision and I expected her to wear the glasses. Next day, she did not wear glasses. Two of my leaders took it upon themselves to try to talk Daisy into wearing glasses, they were unsuccessful. As I observed her (she was becoming a thorn) I saw she had a very stubborn streak. She never smiled and seldom interacted with other folks. Everyone in the department was aware of her refusal to wear the glasses.  In my office once more, I told her that she would be fired if she did not wear the glasses. This company was not going to endure another fine. She said nothing, just looked straight ahead. Still she would not wear the glasses. I called her in again to fire her. Told her to turn her tools over to her leader and clock out. She did not say anything, just walked out put a pair of glasses on her head and went back to work.

The next day I saw Daisy wearing the glasses, but they were worn at the extreme end of her nose. In this position the eyes are still exposed to damage, the glasses should be covering the eyes. Looking out at all the employees everybody seemed to be wearing glasses. I said nothing. Shortly thereafter we had the OSHA inspection and we did pass. I was concerned that others would follow Daisy's example but none ever did.

Daisy proved to be one of the most stubborn people I have ever met. She never wore those glasses as intended. I left the company for another job but was able to return about seven years later to visit. Daisy was there still wearing the glasses on the end of her nose after almost ten years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home