Musings

Friday, July 06, 2007

Lunch at "Mossfire's"

In every city there are bistros that are very charming and the food is delicious. Mossfire's is one of those places. It is in downtown Jacksonville and in an area that is being re gentrified. The name Mossfire's comes from that area in which there was a mattress factory nearby that burned down. The year of the burning, 1905. The cause of the fire was sparks from a welding torch that blew over into the drying pens for the washed moss used in the mattresses. Many of the trees near here have moss hanging from them. One of my students took a few of us there for lunch. Her son owns the place and does a great business there. While there the Mayor of Jacksonville came in to eat. We were told he eats there about twice a week. I don't know what he had but I had the meatloaf, mashed potatoes with mushroom gravy and some steamed vegies. Wow, it was good - I ate the whole thing. Very unusual for me because lunch is, by rule, a small meal. I needed nothing else to eat the rest of the day even though I taught a cycling class at 6:30 that night. That meatloaf sticks to the ribs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home