Musings

Sunday, May 06, 2007

Respect

The word "respect" now is confusing to me. The definition I knew was: "to show esteem, or, to honor" and this meant that one had to do something to deserve that esteem or honor. The "honor" of a doploma is bestowed on those who earned it through a series of consistant studies and work, consequently we respect those who have earned a diploma. Recently, in black culture, we hear of those who are harmed because they did not show due respect to an assailant. The term, "He dissed me" was all it took to resort to violence. The need for respect in this manner is troubling. Does the requested respect come from the realization that you might be slashed or shot? Where is there honor in that? A similar confusion came when Ryan, my Grandson, told me he quit his job as a bagger at a supermarket because he did not get respect from the people for whom he bagged groceries. Doing that work is a service job and people expect the service for which they pay. If you become one of the best baggers in the store the management might honor you with an increase in pay, or a badge saying "Best Bagger In The World" That increse in pay is the respect you get for doing a good job. But customers have no role in this. One more source of confusion, Sean recently complained because the workers in his school cafeteria did not show respect for the people they served. We all expect to be served when buying something and we expect a certain decorum in the manner of being served. As consumers, we have done nothing but offer money for this service which has nothing to do with esteem or honor in our affluent society. In my view, the President of our Country deserves our respect because of the position he holds. It is one of honor and he did accomplish much to attain that position. Also, his responsibility to all citizens to work for, their good, their security and their prosperity is so demanding that he deserves all the honor we can bestow, and I respect him for that. Has the word "respect" changed in our popular culture in some way that I have missed?

5 Comments:

  • I think the word "respect" HAS changed in popular culture. Today, we are being taught that EVERYONE deserves respect, no matter what their position, age, race, gender, etc. That doesn't mean we have to like everyone (I can respect the president's position, but I don't HAVE to like him), so this is where the differences are.

    Perhaps the word "respect" has become a more broad term for how people should be treated fairly. You have never stepped foot into my cafeteria, so you really have no idea how people are treated in there. You have also to my knowledge never been inside that Ingles, so again, you do not have the experience of being harassed (yes I said harassed) by the customers.

    "Respect: you gotta give it to get it." That was on a poster in my Physiology class back in High School. Your definition says that one must do something to EARN respect. This is not so today. We are being taught that everyone deserves and should get respect no matter what. Once that person does something to lose your trust, then respect goes out the window. This is why we don't respect murders, rapists, pedophiles, etc. Respect is expected for every human being; only when a person does something that is "disrespectful" can we begin not to respect them.

    Maybe the words "esteem" and "honor" have taken the place of your definition of "respect." When I think of people earning their diplomas, I already respect them as human beings. By attending the graduation ceremony, I am honoring them, holding them in high esteem.

    By the way, I think respect is due to consumers as well. People work hard for their money and shouldn't have to use that money to get crappy service. I pay about $2000 a semester to eat in this cafeteria, and believe me, that is a lot more than it is worth. The quality of the food is already bad enough; the bad attitudes of the employees only add to an already bad situation.

    R-E-S-P-E-C-T, find out what it means to me...

    By Blogger Sean M., at 11:19 AM  

  • I think Sean is right, in a way. Kids today view the word "respect" as synonymous with what we would call "common courtesy." It is unfortunate that the word has lost the "earned" part of its meaning. No one should have to earn common courtesy, but you should have to earn respect.

    By Blogger EZ Travel, at 6:05 PM  

  • Bravo, Sean

    By Blogger paulette, at 8:04 PM  

  • I spent many years in retail working through the ranks to management. And still work in a customer service related field, never once would I think that the customer needs to pay me with respect. No they pay with their money and because of that I as the service personell give them my respect and thanks. Were it not for the customer, I would not have a job.

    As for the cafeteria, I think a letter to the editor is a fabulous idea. But be sure to not only point out the problems, but offer up a couple of solutions.

    For the quitting because the customers don't respect him, sorry, the only cure for that is maturation.

    By Blogger Adrienne, at 6:29 PM  

  • Adrieanne, Maturation, yes that is the word!

    Sean, When words change it is difficult for the general population. The word localism has been used when one region has a special meaning for a word. In this case a small amount of the population is using a word in a special way and the fact that they feel it is so important does not help.

    Also, lighting one candle helps everybody. Send that letter to the School Management.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home