Musings

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Infernal Revenue Service

I have been working on my Federal Income taxes and find it all a huge chore. Why can't it all be as easy as the taxes in Florida? Florida has no income taxes because it uses the sales tax to get the revenue it needs. We pay 7% sales tax and that takes care of all the revenue the State needs to run everything in the State. Further, there are no tax forms to fill out at the end of each year. If only the Federal Government were as wise as the State of Florida. Just think, no federal income tax forms to fill out at the end of the year. No concern about having to pay, or for that matter, how much will I get back since there would be no deductions from a paycheck for taxes. Everything earned would go into your bank account and screw the Government. Of course, the Government would collect a sales tax to help pay for everything. Hmmm, I wonder how much they would have to charge to get enough to pay for everything?

8 Comments:

  • The answer to the question you posed is "too much." In Tennessee (or at least in Knoxville) the sales tax is already 9.25% on anything you buy (more for cigarettes, beer, etc.). I couldn't imagine having to pay more than that, as TN's sales tax is the highest in the nation. I like the current method as of right now, since I get all my withholding back. Filling out forms is fun! Anyone with me?!

    By Blogger Sean M., at 7:33 PM  

  • We with lower incomes can do our taxes for free online and nothing is easier.

    Doesn't the government get any of the lottery money in Florida?

    The sales tax in Ontario, Canada is 15%, 8% federal and 7% provincial. That's what you would be looking at.

    By Blogger paulette, at 7:08 AM  

  • Florida gets its revenue from sales tax, because the Mouse sells so much crap it can afford that.

    I have always done my own taxes and with Sean I enjoy it. Of course I make next to nothing and have two kids (well only 1 is deductible and OMG I just realized he won't be anymore since he is turning 17 this year!)

    By Blogger Adrienne, at 9:06 AM  

  • A national sales tax or value added tax will never happen in our life time regardless of the rate. The government would have no way to influence behaver.

    By Blogger John Beauregard, at 6:35 PM  

  • I just realized that the title of your post was INFERNAL Revenue Service... I guess I just assumed it said Internal and skipped over that F. Very clever...

    By Blogger Sean M., at 4:01 PM  

  • There is a book written by Neil Boortz, "The Fair Tax" that postulates it would take a 23% sales tax to cover all the Federal Government expenses. It would be over and above any State Sales Tax now charged. That sounds like a lot but it would be charged only on new things. Used cars and houses would be exempt. Everyone in the U.S. would get a monthly check to cover the tax that would be charged for the necessities of life. All consumption above necessities of life gets charged. I am ready, my needs are small.

    By Blogger Marcel, at 5:02 PM  

  • Hey Dad,

    Nyah nyah, I got my return already !! Auto deposit is good.

    By Blogger Tim B., at 7:56 AM  

  • Auto DEPOSIT!! You got a REFUND? What planet do you live on?

    I for one would love a national sales tax in place of the income tax. There would be no annual tax return, no company w-2s and no need for the IRS. Its a win, win, win for all involved. But like I said before, not in our lifetime.

    By Blogger John Beauregard, at 4:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home