Musings

Sunday, January 14, 2007

Oprah

Americans spend their money any way they like and Oprah is doing the same as anybody else. She has been criticized because she is building a school in South Africa instead of doing something here with her money. A TV segment I saw showed what a nice school she has built there, very impressive. She was cutting a ribbon for the opening when I realized how amazed I was at how black she looked. Not only black but really, really black. I couldn't get my eyes off her. She does not have that color on the Oprah Show, or in pictures of her. I recall that she once had a magazine picture touched up to show a greater weight loss than she had truly achieved. Does she do this also for her show? If so, why do we say "black is beautiful" if black people do not want to be shown as black? Is brown more beautiful than black? Should we be saying "brown is beautiful" because blacks want to be seen as brown? I remember a lady that was working for me in Mississippi chastised me because, in referring to her, I said she was black. She immediately said: "Marcel, look at me, do I look black to you? I am brown and not black." She was proud to be brown. Hmmmm, does Oprah want to be brown ........ like Michael Jackson?

5 Comments:

  • We don't have to say "Brown is beautiful" we demonstrate that thought by all the white people who can't wait to turn themselves brown either by the sun or by chemicals.

    By Blogger paulette, at 2:32 AM  

  • I see what you mean about Oprah; she does look different while in Africa than she does on her show. It doesn't really make sense to me, but maybe she was trying to make herself "blacker"?? Or else she makes a point to "deblack" herself a little for TV. More than likely it's just a publicity thing; no more, no less.

    By Blogger Sean M., at 1:03 PM  

  • Michael Jackson is no longer brown.

    A MORE humorous note:

    On a scale of 1 to 10...
    ...
    ...
    ...
    How old is Michael's current boyfriend ?

    By Blogger Tim B., at 8:56 PM  

  • lol....Funny Tim.

    By Blogger cheryl, at 8:29 AM  

  • I just saw Oprah on TV and she now looks like any housewife in downtown Jacksonville. That Africa experience must have changed her.

    By Blogger Marcel, at 4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home