Musings

Saturday, January 07, 2012

Smells

During the "Laverne and Shirley Show", Shirley received a bouquet of fresh flowers. She thanked the giver with: "Oh thank you so much they smell just wonderful...like air freshener." The fragrance industry has made great strides with their offerings of perfume, home fragrance, auto fragrance, soaps, lotions, hair spray, even bug spray. Some of them I like a great deal and they are like a breath of fresh air...so to speak.

Some stores have a unique smell and I just love Bed, Bath & Beyond. Yankee Candle is another favorite as are: Kirkland's and Bath & Body. Today, Pat and I walked through each and it was a pleasure. When I told her my feelings about these stores and how each has a distinct smell, she agreed and said other stores have distinct smells. After a while I inquired which ones? She said Pet Smart and offered to immediately go there to get that experience, I declined.

However, there are some fragrances that I detest. Eucalyptus for example is offensive, and the Yankee Candle "Christmas" is just bad. Working with plastics, I enjoyed the sweet smells of polyethylene and polypropylene, but, Celcon was offensive and gave me a headache.

As a kid my favorite store was Western Auto. I would tour the U shaped isle each time I passed the store. That rubber smell of tires was enough to swoon for and it is not present in the auto stores of today. Auto stores should make every effort to get that "new car smell."

5 Comments:

  • The smells in those stores you enjoy make my mom's allergies act up. She usually stands outside far away from the doors if someone has to go in for something.
    It's funny to me that you don't mind going into Bath and Body but Petsmart is out of the question.
    :)
    Tracy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:21 AM  

  • I am one of the few people that seem to NOT enjoy new car smell.

    Tim.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:33 AM  

  • What about the fresh puppy smell?
    Tracy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:06 AM  

  • I have been with Debbie when she stood outside, sad that she misses out on one of life's pleasures.

    Tim,
    How long after you have bought a new car does the new car smell go away?

    By Blogger Marcel, at 8:49 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 10:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home