Musings

Sunday, July 01, 2012

Cell Phones

The cell phone is a great benifit to mankind because of the easy access to another person that is not nearby. My personal thanks to the designers is based on how easy it is to connect with someone at the airport. With the "cell-park" being close by, it is possible to wait for the traveler in the comfort of your car, with the music you like, at the temperature you like. Possible confusion, frustration and anxieties caused by delays are ameliorated. Life becomes sweet and people behave better toward one another.

My usage of this phone is about five minutes every month. The people I know, being secure in adulthood, do not need input from me to live their lives. I am aware that there are many other people that must keep in constant touch or their world will fall apart. Those people must be very thankfull for this technology in their lives, and may be mystified to find that other people, before this invention, were actually able to survive without this device.

The recent heatwave has knocked out cell phones for many on the eastern seaboard. I don't know which is worse, to lose communication power or to lose air conditioning. For me, of course, it would be air conditioning. How does a person that is so sensitive to recognize only one degree of difference in night time sleeping adjust to the soaring temperatures some are having at this time? If my night temperature, usually held at 79 degrees, goes up to 80 I will remove a sheet and sleep without covering. At 81 degrees I am not able to sleep and I will perspire.

The train that was recently stopped on the track for 20 hours had passengers that lamented the loss of cell phones. Some even climbing a nearby high hill to try to communicate. For me, my concern is personal comfort. Of course, if I was waiting at the train terminal and the train did not arrive, I would be pleased to get a call to let me know what had happened.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home