Musings

Sunday, August 05, 2012

Automotive Pleasure

We bought the Acura in 2011 because we both thought it was beautiful, the right color and had many features that intrigued us. The sale was greatly improved when we got up to walk away with the intention of walking next door to the Lexus dealer and see what they had. So we got a car with Bluetooth, XM radio, heated seats, three buttons for auto. door opening, and a very solid road ride. The first thing that turned us off was the need for premium gas. Next, the ride was more like a race car than we like. Getting into and out of the car was difficult for me because it was so low, I was always hitting my head. Driving low in traffic was irritating, most cars and all trucks in front obstructed a clear view of traffic.

We shopped for a car that would be more to our liking and traded for a Honda CR-V. The sale was greatly improved when we got up to walk next door to the Toyota dealer to see what they had. So we got a car with Bluetooth, XM satellite radio, heated seats, backup camera, GPS system and regular gas. Getting into and out of the car was now a snap for me. Pat says she has to hike her butt a bit more but copes with it. (I have coped with her butt and the experience is pleasurable.)  We have owned the car for about six months and here is what we have found:

1) XM radio has no commercials and a very extensive range of audio offerings. The cost is worth it.

2) The backup camera is most accurate and the lines on the screen help in many ways. Parallel parking is quite easy with this feature as is backing to another vehicle and leaving enough space.

3) The hard, race-car ride is now softer. (Still not equal to our Camry which gives us excellent feel.)

4) Road vision is safer as seeing over other cars is now possible. (Will we ever perfect a camera that will give us an overhead view of traffic in front and sides?)

5) The latest version of GPS was a delight with it's ease of programing for desired destinations. On coming back from a doctor's appointment on Atlanta's north side we decided we were low on Trader Joes wine. Typing in Trader Joes, we were given two choices, picked the closest one and directions were immediately given. We were travelling through Atlanta on I-75, exited about three exits down and drove right to the spot. Getting back in the car, a push on "Go Home" resumed our way through Atlanta traffic and back onto I-75. It saved us a special trip to get wine.

6) While Pat was driving us to "River Dwelling" she mentioned to me that a light was on the instrument panel. I got the instruction book and saw that the light meant a low tire pressure. We stopped in a gas station to observe the tires. One was extremely low, almost riding on the rim. Pulling the car over to get air into it, I found to my amazement that I could use my credit card for a dollars worth of air. We decided to have a Honda dealer look at it and programmed for the nearest Honda dealer. It was only a few miles down the road. They found a hole that was left by a nail and it was losing air fast. The dealer plugged it, balanced it and we were on our way. Thank goodness for that warning light.

We are pleased with this car.                            

4 Comments:

  • I am surprized a Detroit native who once worked in the auto industry does not buy a US brand car.

    By Blogger John Beauregard, at 8:29 AM  

  • The car I bought was indeed a US made car, it was made in East Liberty, Ohio. Of course, it was not made by UAW Union labor which I believe destroyed Detroit as an automotive assembly center. Pappa would not have agreed but that is what I believe.

    I worked 12 years for Ford and they profited by my skills. I did not get a pension (offered to those that have ten years of service) because I was too young when I left Ford. I do not believe I owe Ford anything. Of course, I have bought Ford Taurus and Mercury Mystique vehicles with which I was satisfied. My beef is with the communist lead unions and specificly Richard Trumka.

    By Blogger Marcel, at 10:14 AM  

  • Notice I carefully chose the words "US brand car" not US made car. Most of the US brand cars I've bought in the last 60 years were built in whole or in part in foreign countries, mostly in Mexico or Canada. So if you like the companies and not the unions, buy a US brand. I agree with you on the destructive effect of the UAW.
    BTW: I DID buy a foreign brand car once that had the highest rating by Consumer Report. It was the absolute worst automotive experience in my life. No thanks. I'll take my Lincoln.

    By Blogger John Beauregard, at 3:27 PM  

  • The Lincoln is a very nice riding and looking car. Whenever I drove one it was a luxurious, pleasing experience. When I admired that car I was at a stage in my life when I could not afford it. Now, I can afford it but find that I am satisfied with a car that is not as expensive. My frugal nature still picks the lowest cost item when it is sutible for my needs.

    Pappa loved the UAW and would not understand that Communists had taken over that Union. I wonder how he would take my arguement that unionism had destroyed Detroit.

    By Blogger Marcel, at 10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home