Musings

Thursday, June 25, 2009

McCafe

When the neighborhood McDonald's revamped their interior and put in a machine for making exotic coffee drinks, I smugly said to myself, this is going to be a huge flop. Starbucks has the corner on this type of drink and McDonald's customers will never pay the higher price for exotic coffee. The clientele for these enterprises come from two different worlds. McDonald's customers are looking for inexpensive food while Starbucks customers are looking for something out of the ordinary, something that separates them from the common herd. If I had owned McDonald's stock I would have sold it. (Of course, I could have sold short, but that is not what I do.) At this time, the McCafe business is doing gangbusters. The cashiers have been instructed to ask each customer if they would like to have one of the McCafe drinks. For me, I have always declined but have been astonished at the other people in line calmly ordering one or two of these drinks. The drive in window does a great business selling solitary McCafe drinks. What is going on? Why has this craze started? I am told the drinks are heavily fortified with caffeine and have a strong taste. I talked to Pat and she said she had a Mocha drink and it had a delightful, creamy, chocolate taste. She once had one late in the evening and could not sleep that night. It is obvious that some McDonald's customers have enough money to pay a higher price for their drink. Are people being lured away from Starbucks? The people I usually see in McDonald's have the appearance of being on a food budget. Yet, these drinks are being sold and the initial investment is indeed paying paying off. It is obvious that I do not know the food business, McDonald's does. It is a good thing that I am not the deciding executive at McDonald's. I hope Obama does better with General Motors than I would have done with McDonald's.

4 Comments:

  • I am not a coffee drinker but from what I have gathered from friends, the initial lure was the drive thru. S'bux is always crowded and parking is hard.

    By Blogger Adrienne, at 7:55 PM  

  • I hate those new drinks. I also don't drink coffee so I don't care how they taste. What I don't like is that they take so damn long to make. It makes the rest of us wait in line that much longer while they make those silly drinks.

    I watched one time as the worker made some variation on coffee, then sprayed Redi-Whip on it, the drizzled Hershey's syrup over the top very delicately and then smashed a cover on the whole thing. It makes no sense.

    p.s. Adrienne, almost all of our Starbucks are drive-through

    By Blogger EZ Travel, at 7:22 AM  

  • Erika,
    Today, I spent one hour at McDonald's and watched the McCafe bar being worked. It appeared to me to be very efficient because one girl was used almost exclusively for making the drinks. Adrienne's comment about drive-thru is correct, they did about twice the business from there. Note: One person came inside with their drink and said it was not correct. It was discarded and they made her the drink she wanted, took only two minutes to make the exchange.

    By Blogger Marcel, at 8:53 AM  

  • DSVance - I am another person that avoids anything that tasts like coffee so I have no idea if the McDonald's drinks taste any better than Starbucks. However, given the current economic situation the fashion is to avoid fancy (high price) places and clothing.

    Approximately 6 months ago there was talk of Starbucks closing many stores. I don't know how many they closed but I think given the consumer cost saving trend and the reduction of Starbuck stores I think McDonalds was wise to key in on this opportunity.

    Why don't you own any McDonald stock?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home