Musings

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Geezers

While walking from the parking lot toward the Church last Sunday, I saw two, old men walking together, both had their heads lowered, both wore shorts and tennis shoes. The shorts of one man looked like the bottom of a pyjama set, the other had thin shorts that looked like it had been washed over two hundred times, they waved so easily in the light breeze. Upon entering the Narthex, I noticed another older man wearing the type of pants that are worn by Afghan men. He was wearing very bright, multi-colored, athletic shoes, they looked new. His pants and shirt were black so the shoes drew the eyes immediately to his feet. As we rose for the beginning of the Mass, I noticed a few other older men wearing shorts. What is going on? Why are older men wearing shorts to Church? What has made athletic shoes acceptable? Ushers are still wearing suits, the Priest is still wearing his finery, the Choir is all well dressed. I pondered this while sitting (instead of praying) and resolved to check out more of the congregation once I was up again. Once up, I looked around and found more men with shorts but I could not see their shoes. Nearly all the men so dressed were old and should have known better. Could this be the male answer to "The Red Hat Society?" I conclude that once reaching geezer status, what they wear is no longer important.

2 Comments:

  • This harkens back to one of Adrienne's posts, but why is it ever important? Are you saying that you can't worship just as well in comfortable clothes?

    I think the norm of dressing up for things has gone by the wayside because it didn't make any sense. When there is not a good reason for something, "because we have always done it this way" is not good enough.

    I have certainly bucked the system here at the university. I do not dress up for my job. I always look presentable. I wear clean clothes without holes, but I wear jeans on occasion and I wear sneakers every single day (you could not pay me enough to put on a pair of heels). What I wear has no bearing on how I do my job (since I don't have to meet with muckity mucks*--studies** have shown that muckity mucks really like suits) so no one questions it.

    *That is the technical term for bigwigs.

    **A few of these studies have been funded by my suitless, casual grants office.

    By Blogger EZ Travel, at 8:42 AM  

  • Hi Marcel:

    I hope you do not mind my chiming in here: years ago I worked for Sprint Long Distance, a company with tight hiring practices and even tighter dress code. A new manager came on board, and decided too much of the supervisor's time was spent policing the attire of the employees, so the dress code was relaxed.

    Well, we can all guess how that went! From wearing business attire to shorts with flip flops, to tube tops and sandals (not me, of course!) While I was an employer in my own company and an employee with Sprint at the same time, I just knew this relaxing of the standard was going to be trouble. It relaxed the hiring standards, too....

    Kim

    By Blogger Kim Lahaie Day, at 2:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home