Musings

Thursday, October 08, 2009

Flu Shot

For many years I paid no attention to flu shots, they were not on my radar. About the age of 65 I was made aware that it might be a good practice to get a flu shot, can't remember who influenced me, maybe Pat. Since then I have been getting a flu shot. One year there was a shortage because a bureaucrat, in his wisdom, closed two of the three manufacturers of flu shots. The reason for closing: the two manufacturers had raised their prices higher than the bureaucrat thought proper. The scarcity gave me the impetus to get a flu shot that year. (Get it while the getting is good.) A few years ago Lori had a terrible reaction from a flu shot. She became mysteriously sick and her doctors could not find out what, or why. One doctor finally doped it all out and traced it to her flu shot. Lori had had an allergic reaction to the eggs used in the vaccine. Lori has not had another flu shot since. These past few years, the "Chicken Littles" in this country have become more and more insistant that all people must have a flu shot. This panic usually comes from people who have no idea how the shot is designed, how trade offs are made, the statistical guesses that go into its composition, or that many in the manufacturing process have their fingers crossed in the hope that everything comes out all right. This year, the final decision was postponed so long that practitioners were clamoring for shots. This produced a rush, rush in the manufacturing area. Did they cut some corners? Did they get it right? Did the vaccine get watered down to "play it safe?" I don't know. This year I intend to do a more intensive study about whether I truly want a flu shot. My immune system is intact, I feel healthy, I have positive outlook on life. Why should I gamble on a flu shot?

8 Comments:

  • I have never had a flu shot and I don't intend to get one this year. I don't buy into hysteria or hype about the flu, especially not these "epidemic" flus that are supposed to kill us all in a very short period of time (just channeling the sensationalism).

    By Blogger Sean M., at 9:10 PM  

  • Didn't the flu shots just come into effect in the 90's? What did we do before then? Like Sean says, sensationalism. I had one shot in the 90's. I had never had any reaction to the shot. I never had another one. My immune system is good as well. I do not feel the need to subject my body to what ever they deem necessary to add to a product that we may not need.

    By Blogger cheryl, at 7:40 AM  

  • Nancy is a big flu shot proponent while I am ambivalent so we got one every year for the last 10 years including this year. As far as I know neither of us has had the flu in that period. Don't know if that was due to the shots but why tempt fate.

    By Blogger John Beauregard, at 5:58 PM  

  • While this Public Health topic is indeed fascinating, I am waiting for a blog post about Spain...

    By Blogger Sean M., at 10:06 PM  

  • I did not get a flu shot until I had Jackson. Then they recommended that anyone under the age of 5 and those that are in close contact with them get it. The flu is more deadly in the very young, so I took the precaution. I can ride out any illness but why take the chance that Jackson would get it. Just the thought of dealing with an infant with flu symptoms made me queasy.

    Lyle just took J for his seasonal flu shot on Thursday. I was planning to get mine at the university, but they ran out in 45 minutes. We will have to make a decision about the H1N1 specific vaccine when it becomes available, but we will likely get it since, again, it is most dangerous for the very young.

    By Blogger EZ Travel, at 5:31 AM  

  • Erika brings up an important point about which I was ignorant at the time I posted this blog. There are two shots I was amazed to learn. One the regular flu shot and the other an H1N1 shot, both are flu shots, one for a specific case and the other handles multiple varieties of flu. The latter is the "cocktial" which changes every year.

    Why was the H1N1 not included into the "cocktial"? This is what I had assumed was done, but nooo, this year there are two shots to be taken. This means two decisions to be made, two instances for the vaccine mfg's to charge. Double the work for everyone. Why?

    By Blogger Marcel, at 10:12 AM  

  • Not only that, but the H1N1 is coming in two separate shots. So we will have to commit to pissing Jackson off in the name of good health three separate times this year. But with more stories of kids dying from H1N1 coming out every day (we had the death of a local 11 year old confirmed as H1N1 the other day) we will not be taking any chances.

    By Blogger EZ Travel, at 4:30 AM  

  • Any virus that can shift from a porcine host to a human host is definitely unpredictable. The vaccine for the H1N1 flu has to take this into account. The seasonal flu is more predictable, since it starts and ends with humans. This is why it has been harder to create an H1N1 vaccine, why it has taken so much more time, why it must be given in a separate shot or shots. The two flu viruses are unrelated and must be treated as separate entities.

    I'm sure we would agree that it would be much easier to control the Biology and Chemistry of these flus and just get one shot, but alas, Mother Nature is smarter than we are (as should be expected).

    By Blogger Sean M., at 8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home