Musings

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Depression

About eight years ago, while attending Mass, I noticed that a man and woman behind us sang very well. After Mass, I commented to the man that he sang well and should get up there with the choir. About two weeks later he and his wife were singing with the choir. We saw him there every Sunday for about four years. Then he undertook to sing the solo portion of the "Responsorial Psalm," which he did well, not great, but adequate. Two years ago, he stopped coming to Mass although his wife continued to sing in the choir. Eventually, she also sang the Responsorial Psalm, she was very good. When I inquired about Norman, I was told he could no longer get the courage to leave the house. Since this had happened to Pat I recognized this as depression. About two months ago, Norman was in Church if front of me, not in the choir. He did sing but not very loud. Three weeks ago he moved up into the choir, and today I got a big surprise, he played a hymn of the organ. I had no idea that he played. It is obvious that Norman is coming out of his depression of almost two years. I do not know if he had clinical help or what might have turned it around for him. I was amazed at myself for being so pleased that he had survived that ordeal. In all the eight years I have seen him, I have never seen him smile. There is no indication that he has any joy in his life, he is a most serious man. Yet, I believe his presence is a blessing to this Church.

1 Comments:

  • A affected replica Tag Heuer watch from Watchcopiez may be a replica, but our watches are top superior time pieces. Watchcopiez is appreciative to be the replica jewelers whose designers pay the absolute absorption to detail on the a lot of intricate Cartier designs.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home