Musings

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Lent

Because Jesus fasted for 40 days and 40 nights, and we want to emulate Jesus, Catholics observe Lent. Many years ago I had a dread of Lent comming, it meant deprivation, discipline and extra time to attempt to be pious. Giving up something for Lent was a primary concern of Catholic School kids and the Nuns were inquiring for something specific which would be acceptable for proper deprivation. Of course, the most popular offering was to give up candy. Very easy when you did not have some. Or cookies, more difficult when nearly every day there could be an encounter with them.

After reaching adulthood there were serious dietary rules that could indeed hamper your daily felicity. Yes, it was difficult but not outside the ability to achieve. For married couples there was the possibility for mutually giving up sex. It had to be mutual, or, as you can imagine, there couold be some severe disagreements. "What do you mean you gave up sex for Lent? Why didn't you give up beer like I did?"

Digression: Yesterday, the priest told about the person that, in the confessional, confessed to the priest that he had bad thoughts. The priest asked him if he entertained those bad thoughts. Oh no, he replied, those bad thoughts were entertaining me.

In the seventh and eighth grades I remember following the Nun's  proscription of not talking between the hours of 12 noon and 3:00 on Good Friday. I found that surprisingly difficult to do and was elated when 3:01 came about.

Those little lessons learned at a young age have served me well in my later years. It is now not difficult to defer gratification to a future time. I know I can do it, including going to bed hungry every night. It makes the morning meal so much more enjoyable. Do you think that Jesus, after the 40 days and 40 nights, had a euphoric feeling that he could say: "I feel great. Now where are all those people for whom I will give up my life for."