Musings

Friday, February 19, 2010

Birds

The other day, while having breakfast, I looked out the window and saw about twenty Robins in the backyard. They were all on the ground and hopping around looking for worms. They are working their way north from wherever they spend the winter. The temperature this day is thirty-eight degrees, cold I figure for a start up north. While driving out of my Sub-division, looking up I saw a flock of Canada Geese flying east. Even with all the windows closed I could hear their honking. After turning north onto US 17 I saw another group of Canada Geese flying east. I wondered why they were going east and not north. A short time after I had turned onto Fleming Island Parkway, I saw an extremely large flock of Finches. As I looked up there were thousands flying hither-and-yon similar to the movies of swarms of locusts that we have all seen. Many were landing in the trees but the vast majority stayed in the air. None landed on the ground. These Finches were primarily gray with a small slash of green and yellow under the wings. Upon returning home, I saw no evidence of Robins, Canada Geese or Finches. Looking out the back window toward the lake I could only see a lone fisher, a Great White Heron. Watch out you Northerners those birds are coming.

2 Comments:

  • Be afraid..........be very afraid.

    By Blogger cheryl, at 6:52 AM  

  • I'm just waiting for a huge flock to land in our yard. I think Chester would really love to rush out and scare them all away.
    -Tracy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home